Samstag, 2. Februar 2013

USB to serial cable part 2

Beeing not very successful with my attempt of creating a usb to serial cable from an old World Phone USB Data Cable for a Sony Ericsson mobile I just got this thing working.

I recently got my TP Link WR703N ultra tiny router. Neat little thing.
But what makes this small electronic piece even more neater ?
Flashing custom firmwares on it of course !!

So long story shorts. I successfully bricked my device. Totally. Not even failsafe working anymore.
So I had to get access to the console via serial port.
Damn.
The converting of the mobile cable failed because the PCB with the Prolific PL2303HX chip had no pinout printed on. Remember ?
So if you want something done properly, do it yourself.
1. I made a close up shot of the board. Properly lit.
left to serial ; right to usb/pc



2. Got the datasheet for the chip (link)
3. Traced the conducting paths from the PCB pins to the chip itself and I came up with this drawing:

From top to bottom:

BLACK (thick cable) = GND
8 / not assigned = ?
7 / yellow = ?
6 / not assigned = ?
5 / not assigned = ?
4 / black (thin cable) = RXD
3 / white = RTS_N
2 / not assigned = DTR_N
1 / blue = TXD
V 0 / red = 3.3 V

Hooking it up with the soldered serial port on the bricked device I managed to get serial console access using RealTerm.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen